Role Description: Software Engineer, Mobile
Uptrust is looking to immediately add an experienced Software Engineer to bolster our mobile development efforts. Our fourth Software Engineer will help us continue to lay the groundwork for an engineering team that will be expanded throughout 2021. This is an opportunity to lead the development of Uptrust’s mobile applications and also a chance to help shape a budding engineering organization. If you’re looking for a role where you can have a huge impact on both your company and the world, we’d love to talk to you.
Uptrust is an innovative public benefit corporation supporting criminal justice reform. We’ve built the leading communication platform for helping people to successfully navigate the criminal legal system in both pretrial and post-incarceration situations. Our tools are already supporting more than 800,000 low-income individuals in 100+ jurisdictions across the United States. Uptrust helps reduce jail populations, allowing more citizens to live free and productive lives. Additionally, we are uniquely committed to never charging and never geolocating our users.
Uptrust is currently a team of 13, distributed coast-to-coast in the US, with plans to continue growing throughout 2021. In addition to supporting work from home, we also have offices in San Francisco and Northampton, MA. SF office location is downtown on Market St, right above Montgomery station.
Uptrust is backed by several leading national foundations and investors and has received press from media outlets such as TechCrunch, the Associated Press, The New York Times, and the ABA Journal. Unlike many tiny startups, we already have six-figure ARR as well as near- and long-term plans for product and revenue expansion.
What you’ll do
As our first full-time mobile software engineer you’ll have the opportunity to lead development on a broad spectrum of projects that will directly aid people in staying out of jail and prison. Most immediately, we’ll need your help to finish building our new Uptrust Staff app, built in Flutter, and to add videochat to our platform. In addition to your coding contributions, you will also be responsible for the engineering design of new mobile features and can expect to have direct partnership with Product and Design in shaping product direction.
Mobile is at the center of Uptrust’s strategy so your work will have a tangible impact on the company’s trajectory for the foreseeable future. We have a robust product roadmap for mobile that is focused on helping justice-involved people meet their obligations, reducing their burdens while doing so, and connecting them with local services for housing, jobs, addiction therapy, and more. You can expect to move fast; every week will present new challenges with real-world implications.
If you like to work beyond just mobile, there’s plenty of opportunity to contribute to Uptrust’s backend systems and web application. Lastly, you’ll also be able to help improve our general engineering excellence by working on tooling, testing, and documentation across our entire codebase.
Who you are
- Seasoned mobile engineer. This role will take over ownership of both the Uptrust and Uptrust Staff mobile applications. If you haven’t repeatedly built and maintained mobile applications professionally, this probably isn’t the right role for you.
- Sufficient experience to hit the ground running and be self-directed. Right now, we need proven engineers who can not only contribute but lead projects and help support more junior teammates in the future. If you’re a recent college or bootcamp grad, while we’d love to connect for the future, this probably isn’t the right role for you.
- Production experience with Flutter or an eagerness to pick it up. We chose Flutter because we have a tiny team and needed to build multiple mobile applications for both Android and iOS. We’re looking for someone who either has production Flutter experience or for an experienced mobile engineer who is tech-agnostic and excited to jump in with Flutter. If you’ve never worked with Flutter and don’t want to start now, this isn’t the right role for you.
- Passionate about collaboration and an effective communicator. We want to build our team with people who see the value in a team-first approach, clearly communicated ideas, and listening. If you enjoy playing hero or view yourself as a ninja, this probably isn’t the right role for you.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly. We’re a small, early stage company and our needs are going to evolve rapidly. You’ll be expected to pick up new tech and be effective with it in short order.
What We Offer
This is a full-time role reporting to the VP of Engineering with benefits and competitive salary/equity based on experience. Our benefits package includes 401k, healthcare, vision, dental coverage (all for you and your family), equipment for your home office needs, and a commuter stipend. Lastly, while we are a tiny startup, we are also committed to helping all of our team maintain a healthy balance between work and personal life, especially during the pandemic when the line has been blurred for so many.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please email your resume and a brief note to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to all applicants!
Uptrust is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.